The Fortress Study Group is a charity devoted to the study and preservation of fortifications in the age of artillery (roughly from 1500 A.D.)
Our Charitable Purpose is 'To advance the education of the public in the study of all aspects of fortifications and their armaments, especially works constructed to mount or resist artillery'.
By becoming a member of the FSG you are supporting this charitable purpose and becoming part of a community interested in studying and visiting fortifications around the world. All of the FSG activity is delivered by volunteers from within the membership.
The benefits of Fortress Study Group (FSG) membership include:
- Our annual peer reviewed Journal FORT and three copies of the CASEMATE Magazine
- Two Webinars a month
- An annual conference and tour in the UK
- An annual international tour
- UK Members Days and Study Tours
The Fortress Study Group endeavours to try and help preserve military architecture and contribute to academic learning. Although we have only limited funds we endeavour to help in our own small way such as:
- Publishing fortification research in FORT and Casemate which are distributed to academic libraries worldwide.
- Grants to authors to help with their research and publications on subjects within our field of interest.
- Small grants to organisations preserving and interpreting fortifications.
- Awards to fortification groups to acknowledge their good work in promoting and protecting a specific fort.
- Providing expert advice to development proposals.
Please contact the FSG Secretary for further information.
See also our Charitable Activity page