The benefits of Fortress Study Group (FSG) membership include:
- FORT the annual peer reviewed journal. Typically a c160 page full colour publication with detailed and authoratitive articles on fortifications around the world.
- CASEMATE this full colour c60 page magazine is published three times a year (Jan, May, Sept) and consists of news, book reviews and shorter articles on fortifications and artillery. The latter include reports on FSG activities.
- Members can download digital copies of previous editions from the resources page.
FSG EVENTS (current events are listed on the events page)
- We hope that COVID restrictions will soon be relaxed sufficiently to allow us to restart our programme which has typically included the following events mostly organised by member volunteers:
- CONFERENCE TOUR and AGM - usually held in September this is a weekend Conference and Tour of a the fortifications in an area of the UK and usually includes the AGM. We have previously visited most of the fortified areas in the UK including Plymouth, Portsmouth, Milford Haven, the Forth, the Orkneys and many more. The tour often provides access to sites normally closed to the public and the whole weekend is an opportunity to meet and catch up with fellow members.
- INTERNATIONAL STUDY TOUR - An annual study tour for members to examine fortifications located outside the UK. Usually a week, recent visits have been to Northern France, Malta, Greece and the Franco Spanish Border area. The 2022 Tour will be to Sweden and further details can be found on the events page.
- Previous Conference and Tour guides can be downloaded from the resources area of the website
- MEMBERS DAYS - held around the UK typically once a year these meetings are for Members to get together and infomally share knowledge and photographs. Keynote speakers may be invited to talk on related subjects.
- STUDY DAYS - arranged when possible by member volunteers, these are one day visits to UK fortifications.
- WEBINARS - initially established during COVID the webinars are now an established feature of the FSG diary. They are held at 20:00 on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of the month with an invited speaker on a fortification or related subject followed by a short Q&A session.
- Members receive an occasional (approximately monthly) email newsletter.
- Non-members who wish to receive news and updates from the FSG may subscribe to an abridged version of the members' newsletter by clicking Subscribe at the bottom of the website pages.